Stuff. Stuff everywhere.
I'm not just a hoarder, I'm a genetic hoarder. Both of my parents come from families where as much as possible was stashed away, "just in case" it was needed. I'm just the same, I see potential in all sorts of random things and so I keep them for projects that I'll "eventually get round to". I also adore books. Not just fiction but practical books, books that need a loving home and have knowledge to impart. I often see parallels between a certain magical orangutan, created by the wonderful Sir Terry Pratchett, and myself. I can lose myself in a library for hours.
Some of you, Dear Readers, will be nodding along in experience. Some, like my minimalist step-parents, won't quite understand and that's absolutely fine - in both instances.
This week will see a couple of decisions come to fruition. I am going to charity shop at least 2 larges boxes of stuff and 2 large boxes of books. I've also had some success with Freecycle this week and I'm hoping to recreate that experience again at the end of this week.
Why am I sharing this? Many reasons: confession is cathartic; hoarding is also on the rise and not necessarily through practical reasons and people out there need to know they're not alone; I've known for a long time that the hoarding was a problem and it's at a point now where it has become unhealthy for me, Pusstaphah's abode and that of his feline co-conspirators. It's also depriving me of space for my crafting and it's expensive - somewhere in the hoard is my now-expired passport, financial papers and gift cards that are now out of date. I also end up doubling up on craft materials because I can't find what I already have.
Asking for help has been easy but it's much less easy to actually organise it. Those who can help are not necessarily available when I'm having a good day, with enough energy to do things. The metaphorical elephant in the room needs to be eaten and I'm the only one with the knife and fork. So - let's see if I can do this one bite at a time.
Some creative things can still get done in the small spaces available and I can get out and about to get fresh air. Here's a little friend I met on Saturday at Silverhills Garden Centre:
If I can clear a couple of square metres of space by the end of this week I will feel like I've accomplished something. I'll make a note later this week on how I get on.
If you're struggling with hoarding or feeling low, know that you are not alone. Try talking to someone, write down how you're feeling, get some fresh air or make a cup of tea and enjoy every sip, but whatever you decide to do breathe deeply and be kind to yourself.
September begins tomorrow and autumn draws closer. May the season of mists and mellow fruitfulness (as Keats put it) be a peaceful, soothing and creative time for us all. Much love xxx
I'm not just a hoarder, I'm a genetic hoarder. Both of my parents come from families where as much as possible was stashed away, "just in case" it was needed. I'm just the same, I see potential in all sorts of random things and so I keep them for projects that I'll "eventually get round to". I also adore books. Not just fiction but practical books, books that need a loving home and have knowledge to impart. I often see parallels between a certain magical orangutan, created by the wonderful Sir Terry Pratchett, and myself. I can lose myself in a library for hours.
Some of you, Dear Readers, will be nodding along in experience. Some, like my minimalist step-parents, won't quite understand and that's absolutely fine - in both instances.
This week will see a couple of decisions come to fruition. I am going to charity shop at least 2 larges boxes of stuff and 2 large boxes of books. I've also had some success with Freecycle this week and I'm hoping to recreate that experience again at the end of this week.
Why am I sharing this? Many reasons: confession is cathartic; hoarding is also on the rise and not necessarily through practical reasons and people out there need to know they're not alone; I've known for a long time that the hoarding was a problem and it's at a point now where it has become unhealthy for me, Pusstaphah's abode and that of his feline co-conspirators. It's also depriving me of space for my crafting and it's expensive - somewhere in the hoard is my now-expired passport, financial papers and gift cards that are now out of date. I also end up doubling up on craft materials because I can't find what I already have.
Asking for help has been easy but it's much less easy to actually organise it. Those who can help are not necessarily available when I'm having a good day, with enough energy to do things. The metaphorical elephant in the room needs to be eaten and I'm the only one with the knife and fork. So - let's see if I can do this one bite at a time.
Some creative things can still get done in the small spaces available and I can get out and about to get fresh air. Here's a little friend I met on Saturday at Silverhills Garden Centre:
A peacock butterfly, supposedly a common British butterfly but I don't see them very often. I see more Cabbage Whites around the area so it's good to see some local colour. And I get to create my own local colour too when I take the time:
If I can clear a couple of square metres of space by the end of this week I will feel like I've accomplished something. I'll make a note later this week on how I get on.
If you're struggling with hoarding or feeling low, know that you are not alone. Try talking to someone, write down how you're feeling, get some fresh air or make a cup of tea and enjoy every sip, but whatever you decide to do breathe deeply and be kind to yourself.
September begins tomorrow and autumn draws closer. May the season of mists and mellow fruitfulness (as Keats put it) be a peaceful, soothing and creative time for us all. Much love xxx
Comments
Post a Comment